Connecting a second Fan to a Quad Core Turbot?

Connecting a second Fan to a Quad Core Turbot?

Montala
Hi,

I have now received my "Tacklebox" case (from Canada), plus a Silverjaw Lure (from America) and am now patiently waiting for my Quad Core Minnowboard Turbot (MBT-4220) to be delivered, hopefully in about a couple of weeks' time.

However, I do have one slight concern regarding how I will be able to connect two fans to the Turbot, which now comes with a CPU cooling fan already fitted, although I am not quite sure exactly how this is connected, and whether or not a screw type fitting, as I have seen in some photos, is used here.

I addition there is also a small 4cm fan, with a 2-pin connector, already fitted in the Tackleboard case, which I would like to employ, but of course the fan connector on the Turbot is already being utilised.

Does anyone know exactly which type of connector is fitted to the Quad Core Turbot please, as I am hoping not having to do any soldering etc?

Thanks!

David

Re: Connecting a second Fan to a Quad Core Turbot?

ReMarkable
Hi David,

There are two stuffing options on the Turbot Quad, so it depends on the manufacturer which fan connector is on your board. It is either J2, a 2 pin 0.1" (eg Tyco 640456-2)  or J8, a 2 pin 2mm ( eg JST B2B-PH-K-S(LF)(SN)) and the wiring to the SOC cooling fan will have the mating connector.

This is shown on page 11 of the schematic. [https://github.com/MinnowBoard-org/design-files/blob/master/minnowboard-turbot-quad-core/F400_R302/Turbot_B_Quad_Core_F400_R302-SchematicRev200.pdf]

To add a second fan to this could be done by obtaining a compatible female connector with screw terminals (uncommon) or IDC terminals (eg 3-640440-2 [0.1"] or 02KR-D6S-P [2mm] ), cutting the existing connectors off, and wiring both fans in parallel.

Or if you are lucky and skilled in the art, disassemble one of the connectors already on the fan wires, and splice in the wires from the other fan. That would depend if the exiting female plug uses crimped termination or not.

The 5v power on J2/J8 is the onboard switched 5v direct from the input barrel jack, so the draw of two fans shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have one of the beefier 5v 4A power supplies.

I trust that gives you enough to go on for now.

Regards,

|\/|ark.

Mark van der Pol
Firmware Engineer,
Open Hardware Team,
Open Source Technology Center
Intel
Markx.van.der.pol@intel.com

The MinnowBoard.org Foundation: a US-based non-profit providing education and promotion of the design and use of open-source software and hardware in embedded computing on Intel® Architecture.

|\/|ark.

Mark van der Pol
Firmware Engineer,
Open Hardware Team,
Open Source Technology Center
Intel
Markx.van.der.pol@intel.com

The MinnowBoard.org Foundation: a US-based non-profit providing education and promotion of the design and use of open-source software and hardware in embedded computing on Intel® Architecture.

Re: Connecting a second Fan to a Quad Core Turbot?

Montala
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the best plan is for me to wait until I actually receive my board to determine which type of fan connector has been fitted to it.

Fortunately this will be sooner than I expected, as I have just received an email from Mouser Electronics (U.K.) advising me that my new MinnowBoard Turbot is due to be dispatched today, and should be delivered to me by the end of this week, which is good.

I can then decide exactly how to proceed, although I do not anticipate having any voltage problems, as I will be using a 5v 4A power supply.

Regards,

David

Re: Connecting a second Fan to a Quad Core Turbot?

Montala
Hi,

Well, I finally have the correct Quad Core Turbot (more of that later!) and although it does have an on-board a fan connector, this is of course already being utilised by the CPU cooling fan, so I am now looking for somewhere else to connect the case fan.

My latest idea is to use pins 1 and 3 of the low speed expansion connector to supply the necessary 5 volts for the fan, but I would appreciate reassurance that this is an acceptable option before proceeding any further, as I am not sure of the current rating of these connections, and obviously don't want to cause any damage.

Confirmation... or warnings, welcome... thanks!

David

Re: Connecting a second Fan to a Quad Core Turbot?

ReMarkable
Hi David,
Glad you finally got your Turbot!

Plugging the fan into pins 1 and 3 shall pose no issues when the supply is rated at our recommended 5 Volt 4 Amps.

Have Fun!