[MinnowBoard] How to reflash the UEFI firmware, via the SPI header ?

[MinnowBoard] How to reflash the UEFI firmware, via the SPI header ?

Philippe Coval
Hi,

I fear I'm the 3rd one that got UEFI fw broken...

So I added a "known issue" chapter on this wiki page :

http://www.elinux.org/Minnowboard:MaxBios

It would help to get some instructions to fix this ,
as it was suggested by dave :

http://lists.elinux.org/pipermail/elinux-minnowboard/Week-of-Mon-20140721/000203.html

Now let me detail and report how did It went to this "bricked state" ,
if someone care about reproducing this.

First, I made a tizen image with EFI support (gummiboot)
( I can share it at http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6 )

kernel did boot before reporting some errors on HDMI screen :

     intel_powerclamp: Intel powercalmp does not run on family 6 model 55
     drivers/rts/hc... : unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
     mmc1: error -04 whilst initalising SD card
     mmc1: Got command  interropt 0x0 even though no command op was in
progress
     (last one repeated 7 time)

then I rebooted to fix this image and display was gone (even without
sdcard)...

Regards, feel free to contact me online

--
  mailto:[hidden email]  --  gpg:0x467094BC
  xmpp:[hidden email]

Re: [MinnowBoard] How to reflash the UEFI firmware, via the SPI header ?

Jérémy Hervé
Hi Philippe,

I have the problem too, as explained in my last post.

Are you in near Nantes, France ?

If so, I notice that I'll take some hours, probably the next week, to try it.

I'll read about this this week-end, and since I have breadboard, electronics parts, arduinos, scope, ... I have good reasons to think that'll be reflashed on the next week without ordering any new hardware.

Have a good day,
Jérémy Hervé,
Nantes, France

On 08/08/2014 09:47, Jérémy Hervé wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
Hi Jeremy

> I have the problem too, as explained in my last post
http://lists.elinux.org/pipermail/elinux-minnowboard/Week-of-Mon-20140804/000240.html

Yea sound very similar

prpplague from #minnowboard said that there supposed to be a reset feature
if you just boot it with nothing plugged for 10min or so..

but mine is still on for 12h and once rebooted nothing more than this
trace :

> Are you in near Nantes, France ?
Yea I am between Rennes and Vannes

> If so, I notice that I'll take some hours, probably the next week, to try
> it.
You mean SPI upload  ?

> I'll read about this this week-end, and since I have breadboard, electronics
> parts, arduinos, scope, ...
Yea I have some hardware to be used with
http://flashrom.org/Supported_hardware#USB_Devices

ie: this one but it's a 3,3V what mmax needs is a 1.8V :

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973_Debug_Board_v2/EEPROM

So if you can and want to create a 3.3v to 1.8v level shifter adapter
i can lend it to you, since I am unsure I'll take some time to make a
such thing

> I have good reasons to think that'll be
> reflashed on the next week without ordering any new hardware.
I could also get an extra (unbricked) mmax that can be used using spidev
this procedure worth to be documented too

> Have a good day,
Rainny summer day here :)

See you in irc , I got very good support so far

--
  mailto:[hidden email]  --  gpg:0x467094BC
  xmpp:[hidden email]
  https://dockr.eurogiciel.fr/blogs/embedded/author/pcl/
                                                                        .

Re: [MinnowBoard] How to reflash the UEFI firmware, via the SPI header ?

Philippe Coval
hi

As requested I dumped an image
using flashrom + dediprog device (SPI 1,8V)
of bricked minnowboard max

839c4c8dcee0a28113d11c4c3057c8c1  2614mmax0012-firmware-20140818rzr.tar.gz

https://copy.com/ZB6ZgaBwTVwU

Now i am about to write it back
unless you want me to investigate more on it

Thank you all who provided hints
Now I can detail some procedure on wiki if it helps others,
just ask

Later