[MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

[MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

Rick Thomas
I have downloaded and copied a debian install .iso to a USB3 memory stick.  When I plug the stick into the USB3 (lower) slot on my MinnowBoard Turbot and try to boot from the stick the UEFI Boot Manager doesn’t see it.

However,

1) If I plug the very same stick into the USB2 (upper) slot, then the UEFI Boot Manager does see it and will boot from it.

2) If I plug the very same stick into a USB2 hub which is plugged into the USB3 (lower) slot on the Turbot, then the UEFI Boot Manager does see it and will boot from it.

3) If I copy the .iso to a USB2 memory stick, the UEFI Boot Manager will see it and boot from it regardless of which slot it is connected to.

“Not the sort of behavior you ordinarily expect from a major appliance.”
        — Ghostbusters

Anybody got a clue?
Thanks!
Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

Rick Thomas
Hmmm…

I re-did my experiments just to be sure, and It turns out to be more complicated than I originally thought.

It appears that the manufacturer/brand of USB flash memory stick plays an important role in what happens.

I’ve got three different USB sticks (all nominally USB3) each with a different pattern of behavior.

One, 16GB manufactured by Samsung, works no matter where I plug it in or whether or not I use a hub.

One, 16GB manufactured by Kensington — brand name “DataTraveler”, Has pretty much the behavior I originally described, but occasionally flakes out and just doesn’t work at all — then when I power-cycle the Turbot it works again.

And the third one, 16GB manufactured by ADATA, behaves as I originally described, and does so reliably.

All of the sticks work reliably when plugged into the USB3 slot on the Turbot when the OS is Debian Linux, but are as described (flakey in various ways) when the OS is UEFI firmware.

Curiouser and curiouser!
Rick

On Jun 9, 2018, at 2:24 AM, Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have downloaded and copied a debian install .iso to a USB3 memory stick.  When I plug the stick into the USB3 (lower) slot on my MinnowBoard Turbot and try to boot from the stick the UEFI Boot Manager doesn’t see it.
>
> However,
>
> 1) If I plug the very same stick into the USB2 (upper) slot, then the UEFI Boot Manager does see it and will boot from it.
>
> 2) If I plug the very same stick into a USB2 hub which is plugged into the USB3 (lower) slot on the Turbot, then the UEFI Boot Manager does see it and will boot from it.
>
> 3) If I copy the .iso to a USB2 memory stick, the UEFI Boot Manager will see it and boot from it regardless of which slot it is connected to.
>
> “Not the sort of behavior you ordinarily expect from a major appliance.”
> — Ghostbusters
>
> Anybody got a clue?
> Thanks!
> Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

dkryder
if i run into issues with storage devices like thumb drives and/or sd
cards i'll spend an hour doing a google search on the specific device
to get an idea if other users have issues and if so what kinds of
issues. one thing i've learned is there is a lot of junk storage
devices. thanks for the tip on samsung thumbdrives, really does not
surprise me that it was the only one that worked reliably as i've
found the same with their sd cards, i usually only buy and use samsung
evo sd cards.
On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 2:24 AM Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm…
>
> I re-did my experiments just to be sure, and It turns out to be more complicated than I originally thought.
>
> It appears that the manufacturer/brand of USB flash memory stick plays an important role in what happens.
>
> I’ve got three different USB sticks (all nominally USB3) each with a different pattern of behavior.
>
> One, 16GB manufactured by Samsung, works no matter where I plug it in or whether or not I use a hub.
>
> One, 16GB manufactured by Kensington — brand name “DataTraveler”, Has pretty much the behavior I originally described, but occasionally flakes out and just doesn’t work at all — then when I power-cycle the Turbot it works again.
>
> And the third one, 16GB manufactured by ADATA, behaves as I originally described, and does so reliably.
>
> All of the sticks work reliably when plugged into the USB3 slot on the Turbot when the OS is Debian Linux, but are as described (flakey in various ways) when the OS is UEFI firmware.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser!
> Rick
>
> On Jun 9, 2018, at 2:24 AM, Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have downloaded and copied a debian install .iso to a USB3 memory stick.  When I plug the stick into the USB3 (lower) slot on my MinnowBoard Turbot and try to boot from the stick the UEFI Boot Manager doesn’t see it.
> >
> > However,
> >
> > 1) If I plug the very same stick into the USB2 (upper) slot, then the UEFI Boot Manager does see it and will boot from it.
> >
> > 2) If I plug the very same stick into a USB2 hub which is plugged into the USB3 (lower) slot on the Turbot, then the UEFI Boot Manager does see it and will boot from it.
> >
> > 3) If I copy the .iso to a USB2 memory stick, the UEFI Boot Manager will see it and boot from it regardless of which slot it is connected to.
> >
> > “Not the sort of behavior you ordinarily expect from a major appliance.”
> >       — Ghostbusters
> >
> > Anybody got a clue?
> > Thanks!
> > Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

Rick Thomas
Thanks, Douglas!  It’s good to know that I’m not alone.

Your confirmation of Samsung as consistently reliable is very nice to have.

Rick

On Jun 10, 2018, at 4:37 AM, Douglas Kryder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> if i run into issues with storage devices like thumb drives and/or sd
> cards i'll spend an hour doing a google search on the specific device
> to get an idea if other users have issues and if so what kinds of
> issues. one thing i've learned is there is a lot of junk storage
> devices. thanks for the tip on samsung thumbdrives, really does not
> surprise me that it was the only one that worked reliably as i've
> found the same with their sd cards, i usually only buy and use samsung
> evo sd cards.

Re: [MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

Ottaway, Brian R
Several of us have seen this when attempting boot from cheap drives (just USB drives as I recall). Mark VDP did a deeper dive on it once and found several that could store files but stalled OS's. Below link was one example.

https://github.com/MinnowBoard-org/bugs-and-help/issues/63

Thanks, Douglas!  It's good to know that I'm not alone.

Your confirmation of Samsung as consistently reliable is very nice to have.

Rick

On Jun 10, 2018, at 4:37 AM, Douglas Kryder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> if i run into issues with storage devices like thumb drives and/or sd
> cards i'll spend an hour doing a google search on the specific device
> to get an idea if other users have issues and if so what kinds of
> issues. one thing i've learned is there is a lot of junk storage
> devices. thanks for the tip on samsung thumbdrives, really does not
> surprise me that it was the only one that worked reliably as i've
> found the same with their sd cards, i usually only buy and use samsung
> evo sd cards.

Re: [MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard Turbot firmware version .0097 doesn't recognize USB3 stick as bootable drive...

Rick Thomas
Thanks, Brian!

There doesn’t seem to be any fix available.  Fortunately for me, I can work around it by using the Samsung stick, or a USB2.0 stick.  But it is troubling.

The main concern here is that the UEFI firmware seems to be overly picky about what it accepts as bootable.  As I mentioned, none of the drives have any trouble talking to Debian Linux once it’s installed.

Take care!
Rick