[MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time...

[MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time...

Rick Thomas
I recently ordered a turbot dual-core and a turbot quad-core.  Both have the same problem, namely that when powered on to boot, they often don’t see the USB keyboard that is plugged in to the upper (USB2) port.  I’ve also tried it with the lower (USB3) port, with the same result.  I’ve tried several keyboards, all have the same problem (and all work when connected to other computers!)

The frustrating part of it is, this problem happens about 9 times out of 10, but *sometimes* (about 1 out of 10 tries) it sees the keyboard and responds.

If the problem happened all the time, I’d just send them back for a refund.  But the intermittent nature makes me think I must be doing something wrong.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time...

Richardson, Brian
Can you try the keyboard behind a hub and see if the behavior changes?

What is the amp rating on the 5v power supply you're using with the Turbot?

Thanks ... br
---
Brian Richardson, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Intel Software
[hidden email] -- @intel_brian (Twitter & WeChat)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/meet-the-developers/evangelists/team/brian-richardson

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update]

Rick Thomas

I do the following:
0) start with a plain-out-of-the-box dual core minnow board with a 2 Amp power supply and an HDMI monitor attached.
1) remove all USB and SD modules
2) connect a keyboard and mouse to the top (USB2) slot via a powered hub
3) unplug the power to the minnowboard then re-plug it, and hit F2 many times
Result: there is no response to the keyboard or mouse.  It runs the memory check then goes to the UEFI shell (which shows no devices).  I try to type “exit” and there is no response.

Variations:
4) Plug the keyboard (without a mouse) directly into the top plug (USB2) and repeat.  Again same — no response to the keyboard.
5) Plug the powered hub with keyboard and mouse attached into the bottom (USB3) plug.  Same — no response to keyboard.
6) same as above with a USB stick holding Ubuntu installer plugged into the powered hub (or directly into the lower slot or even directly into the upper slot — with the keyboard plugged into the other slot) — Same.

But:
7) If i insert an SD card with Ubuntu installed on it, and unplug/replug then it will boot to Ubuntu (again, no response to the keyboard during UEFI phase).  Under Ubuntu, the keyboard is live — just as normal for Linux.

And:
With Ubuntu running, I can tell Ubuntu to reboot.  And (lo and behold!) if I hit the F2 key while it is rebooting the keyboard is live and I get dropped into the BIOS boot menu.  I can then use the keyboard to choose to boot from either the Ubuntu SD card or a USB stick with the Ubuntu installer, or anything else I might wish.  Magic!

So…  I’m guessing that Ubuntu does some kind of initialization on the USB hardware that survives the reboot as long as the power is not removed.  But unplugging the power causes that initialization state to be reset and the keyboard goes inactive until the next time it boots into Ubuntu.

It’s starting to sound like a firmware bug…
If so, I’ll be happy to work with the engineers to debug it and test a fixed firmware version.

Enjoy!
Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time...

Rick Thomas
Hi Brian… See the update I just posted to the list.

The update describes a dual core Minnowboard with a 5 volt 2 amp power supply, but I get the same results with a quad core Minnowboard and a 5 volt 4 amp power supply.

Using a powered (or unpowered) hub doesn’t seem to change anything.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Rick

On May 1, 2018, at 5:56 AM, Richardson, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you try the keyboard behind a hub and see if the behavior changes?
>
> What is the amp rating on the 5v power supply you're using with the Turbot?
>
> Thanks ... br
> ---
> Brian Richardson, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Intel Software
> [hidden email] -- @intel_brian (Twitter & WeChat)
> https://software.intel.com/en-us/meet-the-developers/evangelists/team/brian-richardson

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update]

dkryder
maybe if you can get a copy of the current firmware and the version just
prior to that you could start by flashing the prior version just to test.
if that version works you could keep it or try flashing the latest to see
if anything changes with that version.
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 1:52 PM Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do the following:
> 0) start with a plain-out-of-the-box dual core minnow board with a 2 Amp
power supply and an HDMI monitor attached.
> 1) remove all USB and SD modules
> 2) connect a keyboard and mouse to the top (USB2) slot via a powered hub
> 3) unplug the power to the minnowboard then re-plug it, and hit F2 many
times
> Result: there is no response to the keyboard or mouse.  It runs the
memory check then goes to the UEFI shell (which shows no devices).  I try
to type “exit” and there is no response.

> Variations:
> 4) Plug the keyboard (without a mouse) directly into the top plug (USB2)
and repeat.  Again same — no response to the keyboard.
> 5) Plug the powered hub with keyboard and mouse attached into the bottom
(USB3) plug.  Same — no response to keyboard.
> 6) same as above with a USB stick holding Ubuntu installer plugged into
the powered hub (or directly into the lower slot or even directly into the
upper slot — with the keyboard plugged into the other slot) — Same.

> But:
> 7) If i insert an SD card with Ubuntu installed on it, and unplug/replug
then it will boot to Ubuntu (again, no response to the keyboard during UEFI
phase).  Under Ubuntu, the keyboard is live — just as normal for Linux.

> And:
> With Ubuntu running, I can tell Ubuntu to reboot.  And (lo and behold!)
if I hit the F2 key while it is rebooting the keyboard is live and I get
dropped into the BIOS boot menu.  I can then use the keyboard to choose to
boot from either the Ubuntu SD card or a USB stick with the Ubuntu
installer, or anything else I might wish.  Magic!

> So…  I’m guessing that Ubuntu does some kind of initialization on the USB
hardware that survives the reboot as long as the power is not removed.  But
unplugging the power causes that initialization state to be reset and the
keyboard goes inactive until the next time it boots into Ubuntu.

> It’s starting to sound like a firmware bug…
> If so, I’ll be happy to work with the engineers to debug it and test a
fixed firmware version.

> Enjoy!
> Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update]

Richardson, Brian
Yes, I did forget to ask what firmware version you're using (silly me).

Latest version is 0.97. Binary firmware images available here:
https://firmware.intel.com/projects/minnowboard-max

Thanks … br
---
> [...]

> So…  I’m guessing that Ubuntu does some kind of initialization on the
> USB
hardware that survives the reboot as long as the power is not removed.  But unplugging the power causes that initialization state to be reset and the keyboard goes inactive until the next time it boots into Ubuntu.

> It’s starting to sound like a firmware bug… If so, I’ll be happy to
> work with the engineers to debug it and test a
fixed firmware version.

> Enjoy!
> Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update]

It gets worse…  Now, even the “reboot from a working CF card” trick isn’t working for me.  I can’t get it to display the boot menu in the BIOS at all.  When booting, the keyboard is simply ignored, no matter what the history is.

So, I can’t find out what the firmware rev is…  It requires a working keyboard to find out!

I’m at my wits end!
Rick

> On May 2, 2018, at 2:46 PM, Richardson, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I did forget to ask what firmware version you're using (silly me).
>
> Latest version is 0.97. Binary firmware images available here:
> https://firmware.intel.com/projects/minnowboard-max
>
> Thanks … br
> ---
> Brian Richardson, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Intel Software
> [hidden email] -- @intel_brian (Twitter & WeChat)
> https://software.intel.com/en-us/meet-the-developers/evangelists/team/brian-richardson

I’ve tried it with an unpowered hub connecting the keyboard and mouse, a powered hub also with the keyboard and mouse, and with the keyboard plugged directly into the USB2 port (no mouse).  All behave the same: the keyboard is not recognized until after Linux is loaded.

Weird!

Rick

On May 2, 2018, at 7:14 PM, AMarchini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing to try, if you are using a USB hub, I would take it out of the system, some times a BIOS doesn't have time to enumerate all the devices before the point of query of the keystrokes.
> A keyboard with built in huh may be the issue.
> I don't know if this version has a BIOS reset jumper but to could try that.

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update]

Rick Thomas

Hi Brian… Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I do have a serial cable.  I haven’t tried it yet because I’d have to take the board out of its case to access the serial port pins.  But it’s the obvious next thing to try.

I’ll give that a try — but it may have to wait for the weekend when I’ve got some spare time.

Thanks!

Rick

On May 2, 2018, at 7:28 PM, Richardson, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That doesn't sound like fun. Do you have a 3.3v serial cable (6-pin header, like they use on RPi)? You can use that to try and get a serial console connection (115.2k baud), which would access the setup & UEFI Shell.
>
> Thanks … br

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update to the [Update]]

Rick Thomas

Well… I finally got the quad (with the 4amp power supply) to work with the “reboot from a running Linux” trick.

At least for that board, the BIOS menu says the following:

Minnowboard Turbot D0 PLATFORM
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU E3845 @1.91 Ghz
MNW2MAX1.X64.0095.R01.1703281124

Which, I presume, means that the BIOS is Rev 0095.R01 compiled at 11:24 AM on March 28, 2017.  So I’m two revs behind the leading edge.

The dual (with the 2amp power supply) is still refusing to yield its secrets.

Sometime this weekend, I hope to have time to reflash the BIOS with Rev 0097 as mentioned in Brian’s post.

Rick

On May 2, 2018, at 7:09 PM, Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It gets worse…  Now, even the “reboot from a working CF card” trick isn’t working for me.  I can’t get it to display the boot menu in the BIOS at all.  When booting, the keyboard is simply ignored, no matter what the history is.
>
> So, I can’t find out what the firmware rev is…  It requires a working keyboard to find out!
>
> I’m at my wits end!
> Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update to the [Update]]

ReMarkable
Sounds very strange - having ruled out keyboard malfunction, power issues, and the fact it works if booting to the OS, on two separate boards, there is not much left...

The BIOS, if it can't find an OS to load, will show a UEFI shell prompt. It won't tell you the version, but at least it confirms the BIOS is happy.

Also, if the BIOS is up in the shell prompt, it will enumerate a USB  keyboard if you plug it in at that point. Or if you switch ports for the keyboard.

Is the OS you run installed on that board, or from a reference board?

Is it running from the micro SD card, a USB Flash drive, a SATA disk, or something plugged into the high speed interface on a lure?

Thanks,

|\/|ark.

Mark van der Pol
Firmware Engineer,
Open Hardware Team,
Open Source Technology Center
Intel
[hidden email]

The MinnowBoard.org Foundation: a US-based non-profit providing education and promotion of the design and use of open-source software and hardware in embedded computing on Intel(r) Architecture.

Markx.van.der.pol@intel.com

The MinnowBoard.org Foundation: a US-based non-profit providing education and promotion of the design and use of open-source software and hardware in embedded computing on Intel® Architecture.

Re: [MinnowBoard] Minnowboard Turbot doesn't see USB keyboard most of the time... [Update to the [Update]]

Rick Thomas
Hi Mark,

The OS I run is Debian 9.4 (“Stretch”) on an SD card.  I installed it in the “normal” way (i.e. from a USB stick to which I “dd”ed the installer .iso as downloaded from the Debian mirror) on one of the infrequent occasions that the keyboard was recognized by the BIOS.  I installed it on the board in question, not a reference board.

I’ve tried un/re-plugging the keyboard from the USB2 slot on the board.  It is not recognized before or after the re-plugging.

Is there a way to reset the bios to “factory” settings?  I’m wondering if maybe I’ve managed to clobber some setting in the config flash in all my experiments…

Thanks!
Rick