[MinnowBoard] Using PXE boot to install Linux on a Minnowboard Turbot

[MinnowBoard] Using PXE boot to install Linux on a Minnowboard Turbot

Rick Thomas

I’m trying to install Debian Linux on a Turbot dual-core, single ethernet.

I want to network boot (PXE boot) the Turbot into the debian installer.  I’ve set up a TFTPboot server as described in the Debian documentation.  I’ve tested it with a Dell laptop, and been able to use it to boot the Debian installer on the laptop.

But she I try to PXE boot the Turbot, the screen flashes a few times — way too fast for me to read anything — and it returns to the BIOS boot menu.

The Minowboard’s BIOS is version 097, the latest.

Anybody have a clue?

ADVthanksANCE,
Rick

Re: [MinnowBoard] Using PXE boot to install Linux on a Minnowboard Turbot

Richardson, Brian
Is the PXE server setup for UEFI? The MinnowBoard Max/Turbot firmware does not support legacy PXE images, only UEFI PXE images. That means the server must have a UEFI image and proper entries in the config files.

Useful info: https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Configuring-PXE-Boot-Servers-for-UEFI

Thanks ... br
---
Brian Richardson, Senior Technical Marketing Engineer, Intel Software
[hidden email] -- @intel_brian (Twitter & WeChat)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/meet-the-developers/evangelists/team/brian-richardson

Re: [MinnowBoard] Request ID [#INC-8237]: Using PXE boot to install Linux on a Minnowboard Turbot

Rick Thomas
Hi Steve et al,

No, this is not a show-stopper.  It’s just me trying out a new (to me) feature.  Given the problems I had (as recorded a month or so ago in this list) with getting the Turbot firmware to boot the Debian installer from a USB stick, I figured it would be useful (and fun) to experiment with other ways of accomplishing the task.

Here’s what I did:

I set up a small local network consisting of a netgate router providing access to the Internet, running pfSense, one Intel NUC to use as the server, and the aforementioned MinnowBoard Turbot as client.

The NUC is running Debian Stretch, set up with dnsmasq as described in the Debian wiki:
    https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall
The Turbot has a monitor plugged into the HDMI port, a keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB2 port, and an 8GB uSD card into which I hope to install Debian Stretch.

I tested this setup with a Dell laptop (legacy BIOS, not UEFI) and was able to boot into the installer running in “rescue” mode so as not to damage the system already installed on it.

However, when I power-up the Turbot and tell the firmware to boot via the ethernet with PXE, it gives the behavior I described: Screen flashes too fast to read, and return to the firmware.

I have not tried it with a serial console, though I plan to — I’ll report back when I have something to report.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Rick

On Jul 2, 2018, at 3:40 AM, Steve W. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
> That's not something I have tested personally but we can look into it. I don't see any reason it shouldn't be possible. We don't support that directly however.
>
> I assume you need to PXE boot this? It's something you need to do repeatedly?
>
> Can you give us more details of your test setup? Exactly what image are you trying to boot?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Wheeler
>
> ---
> Manage your support request online at https://go.netgate.com
>
> On Mon, Jul 2 at 10:47 AM , Rick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m trying to install Debian Linux on a Turbot dual-core, single ethernet.
>
> I want to network boot (PXE boot) the Turbot into the debian installer. I’ve set up a TFTPboot server as described in the Debian documentation. I’ve tested it with a Dell laptop, and been able to use it to boot the Debian installer on the laptop.
>
> But she I try to PXE boot the Turbot, the screen flashes a few times — way too fast for me to read anything — and it returns to the BIOS boot menu.
>
> The Minowboard’s BIOS is version 097, the latest.
>
> Anybody have a clue?
>
> ADVthanksANCE,
> Rick
> [#INC-8237]

Re: [MinnowBoard] Request ID [#INC-8237]: Using PXE boot to install Linux on a Minnowboard Turbot

David Byte
First, is your ice server setup for UEFI booting?  https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-best-practices/sbp-multi-pxe-install/data/sbp-multi-pxe-install.html is a guide I authored for SUSE Linux. It would be relatively easy to modify it for most other OSes, although you could certainly download SLES12SP3 from the downloads.suse.com site and just follow the directions to see if you can get it working.

Otherwise, Look at your dhcp server logs. Is the lease issued?  If so, look at the tftp logs and see if it is accessing the files correctly.

Sent from my iPhone. Typos are Apple's fault.

On Jul 2, 2018, at 8:26 PM, David Byte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First, is your ice server setup for UEFI booting?  https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-best-practices/sbp-multi-pxe-install/data/sbp-multi-pxe-install.html is a guide I authored for SUSE Linux. It would be relatively easy to modify it for most other OSes, although you could certainly download SLES12SP3 from the downloads.suse.com site and just follow the directions to see if you can get it working.
>
> Otherwise, Look at your dhcp server logs. Is the lease issued?  If so, look at the tftp logs and see if it is accessing the files correctly.

Thanks for the pointers, David!

Here’s the relevant part of /var/log/syslog from an attempt to boot the Turbot.

Hostname “small”, IP address “172.17.2.99”, is the Turbot client.
Hostname “milli”, IP address “172.17.2.98”, is the NUC server.

I have not yet read your piece on setting up UEFI, so this is the result without your modifications.

If you see anything that might help, please let me know…

Enjoy!
Rick

syslog (3K) Download Attachment

[MinnowBoard] SOLVED Re: Using PXE boot to install Linux on a Minnowboard Turbot

Rick Thomas
Well…

With a little help from my friends on the list, I finally figured it out.

The problem was that the MinnowBoard firmware is only able to boot UEFI, and I didn’t have my server configured to serve UEFI.

After some serious googling, I finally found the Debian packages “di-netboot-assistant” and “debian-installer-9-netboot-amd64” which, between them, automate most of the steps of setting up a UEFI tftp boot server.

The instructions in /usr/share/doc/di-netboot-assistant took a bit of head scratching to interpret correctly, but I was eventually able to net-boot the Debian 9.4 installer and get it to run to the end.

Good Stuff!
Thanks for all the help!
Rick